You say to yourself “here we go again” another holy grail super star ingredient that promises to change the world and your skin. With so much hype how can it not be so? Ingredients come and go and for one reason or another they become a one hit wonder or they end up with true lasting power. Navigating your way around ingredient claims has become even more difficult as the internet circulates these DIY claims made by people willing to try just about anything for the hope of the next fountain of youth.
For the past few years Coconut Oil has had center stage as the DIY cure all ingredient for skincare and overall health. For the sake of this post I’m only going to talk about coconut oil as it pertains to our skin. Let’s start with the positive attributes of coconut oil.
- Coconut oil is natural and non-toxic
- It is very rich in fatty acids and nourishing as a body oil (only)
- It helps retain moisture in the skin as it is considered an occlusive barrier.
- It is highly comedogenic at a level 4 – which means it can and most likely will clog pores.
- It may actually make acne worse in most cases.
- It does not offer much in the way of dermal nutrition especially when compared to other plant oils such as Rosehip Seed Oil.
While we still love coconut water, coconut milk and coconut activated charcoal I think coconut oil as the main ingredient in skin care products needs to retire as the one hit wonder that it is.